Friday, January 4, 2008

Returning to Denver: My childhood hometown

November 21, 2007 - Wednesday

Many events have torn through my life like a harsh wind on a winters day...
I have been homeless, on the road, jobless, and full of dreams. I have seen many of my old homes, places I used to call my backyard, my home, my heartland. I have slipped back into time, for a fraction of my life's rhyme, and I have wonderered many a time, where am I going? I have seen old friends, who haven't changed a bit, and family I was too young to remember. I have been scared, and worn, tired and weary, and at times, utterly hopeless. I have cried, I have laughed, I've vegged in front of a motel TV watching CSI. I've grown, and yet somehow I'm younger. More innocent in realizing that I will always be ignorant, no matter how grand my knowledge. I have seen my family a victim of carthieves, and tool thieves, and wished I could have done somthing. I have gained family, and camped in the rain. I have been selfish, and rude, and careless...and humbled in my own right.
I have travelled through many lands, and stayed in a motel from the 1900's...unable to sleep and feeling the carpet stick to my feet. I have smiled at strangers, and came upon a pack of doe in a rest stop...locking eyes with the buck, I watched his glowing eyes as he paused, and then moved on.
I have seen endless miles of yellow flatlands, and rolling foothills, imagining they were a giants feet. I have seen the Joshua trees, and marvelled at their resemblence to brocolli...
I've climbed mountains, and passed through tunnels, but of course I wasn't the driver.
And in the end, I was able to pause, before I continued on my journey, to rest in the comfort of family, and take stock of my resources. As I now sit here, the colorado snow stops falling, it blankets the city in white, and the sky clears of gray clouds.

No comments: