Thursday, January 31, 2008

Eating raw food: Its all about attitude; Part III

In my previous blog, I wrote about my first social experience on this diet, and how it has impacted me.

Over the holidays this year, during Christmas, my family and my fiance an
d I were invited to a family Christmas dinner, at my Uncle's and his girlfriends house.
My uncles girlfriend(I'll call her S)had given my mom and dad a Whole Foods gift card, and told my mom to buy her and I a special raw fish feast for the holiday dinner, so we wouldn't feel left out.
My mom had bought Ahi tuna, salmon, seaweed, raw sheeps milk cheese, cucumber, avocado, and various other little treats. S joined us in our raw food dinner, and didn't even eat any of the turkey, or cooked food the guys were indulging in. She enjoyed it very much, and even wanted to start eating it more often.
My mom and I on the other hand had a very different experience; we began to feel slightly nauseous from eating the raw fish, and it felt like there were rocks sitting in our stomachs.
All I wanted was my raw ground beef, and I really felt like my instincts were telling me not to eat raw fish anymore.
My mom and I felt that our instincts were confirmed after reading this post on Live-Food(a group ran by Vinni Pinto) Recipe For Disaster
You can also join the group, and learn more about this diet.

I have learned that people just want you to be apart of things. Good friends and family will go out of their way to integrate you into their lives, no matter how different you are, or how you eat.

In my experiences, few times have I had blatantly horrified and rude people, attacking me for my way of life.

When I was working at St. Vincent De Paul in Seattle, WA, there was a woman there who I worked shifts with. When she found out that I ate raw meat, she was so shocked and horrified that she went around literally yelling it to my entire crew, and telling them to come look at what I was eating. At first, I felt pretty alienated...but I took it in stride, and no matter what she said to me, I counteracted her words with positives. As her and I started working together more, she actually told me that she thought it was really cool that she knew someone who ate raw meat, and that she liked the fact I was different. She also told me that she may have thought I was weird at first; but she thought I was just so nice and kind that she really didn't think I was that weird anymore.

In my opinion, the way the vegans and vegetarians eat is detrimental to their health; but I will defend their right to eat that way. Why? Because it is everyone's personal right to live life how they want, and I can understand that some people literally cannot bring themselves to harm animals, because their conscious will attack them. No; I do not think it is healthy, but it is not my right to tell them how to live their lives. The only thing I can do is recommend healthy supplements for the health problems caused by such diets.

Over time; I have come to a lot of realizations, and I have had mini-battles in myself over eating my food in front of others; on occasions such as work lunches. But I know, that as long as I have pride, and confidence, that people will not look at me like an alien, but a person with a different way of life.

No comments: