Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Adventure in the bathroom: Part III

Get your minds out of the gutter, and into the shower!

In this blog I will give you some great ideas for blemish treatments; and some of them are right out of your kitchen cupboard!

What are the main problems w/ the over-the-counter acne medicine?

Well I’m sure most of you have found it starts to work, and then after a month your problem gets worse and you have to switch to the next best acne cure.

Alcohol and acetone:
While a lot of acne treatment information will tell you that these chemicals work in treating acne; the truth is that it kills off all of your natural bacteria that helps to FIGHT off the acne. It doesn’t just dry out your skin, it destroys the natural PH balance of your skin. Alcohol is a petroleum product(derived from plastics)it is toxic to the skin, and in the long run you will end up having enlarged pores and thirsty skin.

Sulfur:
My mother and I have personally tried sulfur, and at first our skin looked amazing, but a few weeks down the line, it started to change the texture of our skin. Our skin was very dry and our pores were enlarged. I do not recommend using it as an all over treatment for acne because it kills beneficial bacteria as well as the bacteria causing the acne. I do however recommend it as a spot treatment.

Salicylic Acid:
I recommend using products with 5% Salicylic acid, to treat acne, 2% is too low of a percentage, and the pharmaceutical companies get away w/ a low percentage because consumers see that it contains this active ingredient, and assume it must work.

$7 Tea Tree Oil:
Try using Tea Tree oil as a spot treatment, you can buy this at just about any grocery store that has a natural and organic section, you can also buy it at your local health food store, or specialty herbal store. Make sure it is pure undiluted tea tree oil! It lasts forever so don’t be jaded by the price.

$10-12 Neem Oil:
Neem oil is good as a spot treatment, and an all over skin refresher when left on overnight. If you buy it like I did in bulk, where it is used as a bug repellent on plants, it has a very strong smell. I would buy Neem oil that is specifically for your skin, unless you want to spend the next morning steaming your face to get rid of the smell. Besides that I don’t think I’ve found a better miracle cure than this stuff.

Garlic Cloves:
Another awesome spot treatment I only use when I’m desperate; slice in half a clove of garlic and rub it on your zit. The garlic is an anti-bacterial, and it is also a fast healer of cuts and razor-burn.

$5 Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash: W/ organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi:
My favorite face wash, it keeps my skin soft w/out over-drying, and it’s awesome at keeping mild acne at bay.

Now those are just my favorite cures, and treatments! Hope these help; what are your favorite cures?

No comments: